What do I need to know about laser resurfacing for better skin?
There’s a reason laser resurfacing is so popular … that’s because it really works! Laser resurfacing can improve the appearance of skin by reducing fine lines, wrinkles, age spots and other blemishes. If you’re considering laser resurfacing, what do you need to know?
- Laser resurfacing can be customized to your unique needs and goals. Different lasers target the skin in different ways, and each has its own strengths in addressing specific concerns. The newest lasers provide better results at a faster pace with a shorter recovery time. A doctor can customize the treatment to help you receive the best possible results.
- Laser resurfacing is minimally invasive. Laser resurfacing is performed as an in-office procedure with the use of a local anesthetic to numb the skin in order to reduce discomfort during the procedure. The laser allows for precise targeting of the area of concern, meaning it’s also less invasive overall.
- Depending on the type of laser used, laser resurfacing may come with some downtime. If your doctor uses a non ablative laser, you can expect some redness or swelling for a few hours following the procedure, but you can likely resume your skin care regimen and daily activities the same day. Ablative lasers require more recovery time with full healing taking between 1 week and 1 month.
- Sun protection is key following laser resurfacing. Protect your skin from damage by wearing sunscreen that is at least SPF 30. It’s also wise to avoid direct exposure to the sun during peak hours to avoid the most harsh UV rays.
- Results of laser resurfacing are not immediate. You’ll likely see improvements over several weeks or months, depending on the type of laser used. As your body heals on its own, collagen production will be stimulated, but this cycle takes time to show through on your skin. You also might need additional treatments to maximize your results, but results can last for years.
Laser resurfacing is a highly effective procedure for improving the appearance of your skin, especially if you desire a more youthful and radiant look. A qualified doctor can customize your treatment to your specific needs, ensuring you achieve the best possible results. Interested in laser resurfacing? Call Dr. Kevin I. Perman at (301) 571-0000 to schedule a consultation today.